Mehan finishes senior year with a smile

Brown hair, alluring smile and an oversized backpack. People who see those words would say they describe an average 18-year-old. But if they knew Grace Mehan, senior, they would think anything but that. Grace engages herself in more activities than the average high school student and makes those who get to know her feel special too.

“She appreciates the best in everyone and brings it out for others to notice. Whether is their looks, a talent or even their smile she’s always looking for the best in people,” Colleen Mehan, Grace’s mom, said. “Grace has the kind of goals everyone else her age has: to be productive with a job, one that she likes and feels as if she can contribute something.”

Mehan, who has Down Syndrome, participates in ARC, a program for children with intellectual or mental disabilities, as a way to have a fulfilling life inside her community. She writes e-newsletters (online newsletters), plays sports and receives job training with the program.

Mehan plays field hockey, basketball, soccer and track and field. She is involved with the Book Club, Lumberjack Club, Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) and Special Olympics. She also does community volunteer work at The Muny, YMCA, Kirkwood Early Childhood Center, Carmelite Childcare Center and the concession stand at Mary Queen of Peace, her church.

“Winning isn’t everything. If you say ‘I can’t do this,’ I would say, ‘Don’t say that. Follow your own dreams and follow your own heart,’” Mehan said.

Classmates, teammates, parents and teachers agree Mehan is persistent. When she is out playing with her teammates or even cheering on the sidelines, everyone learns life lessons on how to stick together and have determination and perseverance.

“We all can tell that she has overcome so many obstacles,” Emily Pagano, freshman and teammate, said.

According to her mother, Mehan is a “go-for-it-girl” and should be the face of the “all-is-good” T-shirts because she is always jumping for opportunities and making the best of everything that comes her way.

“I see happiness in the other teams’ faces, so I cheer for them and make my own team happy too,” Mehan said. “I don’t like to see my friends sad, it makes me really sad too.”

View Comments (3)
$1030
$500