The KVA volunteers

by Antonia Akrap

Hannah McMahon, freshman, rushes home everyday after a two hour lacrosse practice to grab a bite to eat and is back out again for another hour and a half, then is home again to do all her homework. During that hour and a half she could be doing her school work, she’s out volunteering.

Except this kind of volunteer work hardly feels like work.

On Monday and Tuesday nights, KHS girls go to North Kirkwood Middle School to teach middle school students the game of volleyball. Kirkwood Volleyball Association (KVA) has been around for 25 years with the help of players and KHS girls in coaching the eight-team league. Coaching, however, has not proved to be much of a burden for the high school girls.

“I really had a good experience when I played last year,” McMahon, said. “I wanted to help other kids have a good experience too, so I decided I would coach, which also made me a better leader.”

McMahon, outside of coaching two nights a week, is busy with homework and girls’ lacrosse everyday after school. Neither stopped her from volunteering.

Another dedicated student, Megan Werner, has been coaching for three years. Werner was required to do a community service project as a freshman, so she decided a good project would be to volunteer for KVA. She also played on the KHS varsity team in the fall, so she has quite a bit of experience.

“Coaching gives me a lot more patience with helping when people struggle,” Werner said. “I also really like how close my team and I got. We do a lot of team bonding, and our practices are always good. It’s just fun.”

The KHS coaches have not been the only ones with a great KVA experience. The players have benefited just as much.

“KVA has helped me a lot, because it made me a better teammate. Everyone is always positive and helping each other out,” Gabby Cornado, Nipher Middle School eighth grader, said. Cornado, who also plays on a select volleyball team, Momentum, wanted to play for KVA in order to be with friends.

“KVA gives you a chance to play with and against your friends, and meet new people, too. It’s just really fun, and a really relaxed environment. The coaches teach you what they know, but make it really exciting, too,” Cornado said.

Whether it is becoming a better leader, a better teammate or evolving in patience, most KVA participants have benefited.

Stress doesn’t seem to matter when you’re doing what you love.