Finding comfort in other countries

submitted from Gabi Akrap
Gabi Akrap, sophomore, in Germany with her sister.
 Munich for a month
If Gabi Akrap, sophomore, had the choice, Germany would be her first home instead of her second.Every day for a month this past summer, Akrap spent her time waking up to fresh bakery pretzels for breakfast with a day of shopping and adventures ahead.Since moving to Kirkwood from Munich when she was 7, Germany has held a special place in Akrap’s heart as her first home and the setting of many of her earliest memories.

Akrap spends about every four summers in Munich, staying at her aunt’s apartment along with her uncle, two cousins and sister. There was never a dull day.

“My favorite thing to do in Germany would be to go to this place called the Eisbach,” Akrap said. “It’s like a little river. You jump in and the current is so strong it pushes you down the whole river. A lot of kids can’t stop or get out. You get to this bridge and you hang onto it, climb out, and then get on the Metrolink to take you back up the river. You just do it over and over again.”

One thing Akrap values about Germany is the relaxed relationship between teenagers and parents, she said.

“It’s a lot different over there,” Akrap said. “You just have so much freedom. The parents over there seem more relaxed because they don’t have to worry about how their kids are going to get home. The crime rate is also not that high over there.”

Akrap said traveling is easier for teens as well. There is plenty of public transportation so people without licenses have no trouble getting around, said Akrap.

“There’s taxis you can take anywhere,” Akrap said. “Here, you have to call taxis but in Germany you can find them everywhere. There’s also the Metrolink, which here is just down in the city. There’s also the subway, which is really nice to have because no one has to ask for rides.”

Despite the differences between the two countries, Akrap values the time she enjoys in her second home.

“I just really love the European lifestyle,” Akrap said. “It’s like being in a different world almost rather than a new country.”

A second life in Poland
Every few years, Gabie Madej, senior, takes a break from her life in Kirkwood to spend time with her extended family and relax in Poland.Madej spends about a month in Poland, staying with her dad’s side of the family in Baranów Sandomierski for about one week and her mom’s in Kluczbork and Proslice for about three. She enjoys spending time with her cousins in their country home and fully embraces the life that comes along with it.“We’ll get up and then I’ll help my cousins usually with dinner or if they have to do some sort of work that day,” Madej said. “Then we’ll just hang out until dinnertime. After we eat then we’ll go out and just hang out with all of their friends.”

Although there isn’t much to do in the country, Madej said, she likes going to Poland because of how much time she gets to spend with her family.

“My favorite thing to do is mainly just hang out and spend time with my cousins,” Madej said. “I don’t get to see them that often.”

After spending time in Poland for years, Madej could see it as a greater part of her future.

“When I was younger, I always said that I wouldn’t [move to Poland],” Madej said. “But now that I’m older, I actually enjoy it more so I have been thinking about it a lot lately if I wanted to move there after college. I still haven’t made up my mind yet, but it’s definitely an option.”