Mr. Greg Booth

May 3, 2018

Art by Celia Bergman
25 years of teaching at KHS

TKC: What are your plans for retirement?

Booth: I am going to buy a building and put in a studio and go be an artist.

TKC: What is your favorite memory at KHS?

Booth: I’ve really liked teaching. That’s been very nice, to have a career that you enjoy and I’ve loved working with the plays. It’s been a great career and there have been so many good memories. I don’t know if I can pull my favorite one.

TKC: What will you miss the most about KHS?

Booth: I’ll miss being in the classroom and teaching because I do enjoy it. I will not miss grading and paperwork and administration things that we have to do and all the other hoops we have to jump through.

TKC: What are you most excited for in retirement?

Booth: My dream in high school, I went to art school, was to go be a working artist and it’s a very hard way to make a living. So, now I get to go do it. I get to go be a working artist, so I’m fulfilling a dream I had at 18 It’s kind of cool.

TKC: How long will you work as an artist?

Booth: Until I can’t.

TKC: Have you been doing art outside of teaching?

Booth: Oh yeah. I had a show in March, my first solo show. That was very successful. I’ve had pieces in group shows and making sets [for KHS plays] is art and I’ve done that for [many] years.

TKC: Have you worked at other schools?

Booth: I’ve worked at other schools as a set designer, but I have not taught at other schools.

TKC: What makes KHS unique compared to other schools?

Booth: Well, I think the tradition of Turkey Day is probably as unique as you get. Every school has their tradition, but that one is unique to Kirkwood. I went to SLUH and [our tradition] was the SLUH v. CBC game, but it wasn’t quite what Turkey Day is.

TKC: What has been your favorite KHS production?

Booth: I have couple [favorite shows], “House of Blue Leaves”, “The Arsonist”, “A Streetcar Named Desire” and when we did “Hamilton.” Those are probably my top shows.

TKC: Is there anything else you would like to add?

Booth: Thank you. This has been a great career for me and I thank Kirkwood.

$1030
$500

$1030
$500