Ghost Stories: The Microwave

Feeling like she is constantly being watched is not a new sensation for Gabi Akrap, as she sits in her basement with a ghost she believes lives in her house, who she calls Charlie.

“I just gave it that name. I don’t know if it’s a boy or a girl, but if something weird happens we always just say, ‘oh, that was probably Charlie,’” Gabi, sophomore, said.

Since the Akraps moved into their home eight years ago, Gabi has witnessed strange events that have led them to think a ghost lives with them.

Not only does Gabi sense she is being watched, but she has also seen unbelievable things happen in front of her eyes. More than once Gabi has left a drawer open in her room and it slams shut on its own. Because there are no windows in her bedroom, Gabi cannot think of any other reason why that would happen. She also wakes up in the morning to scarves on the floor and other items in her room that are out of place.

Gabi said strange happenings have occurred more frequently from when they first moved in.

“I think he used to be shy, and now that we’ve lived here longer he’s started doing more and more,” Gabi said.

Vesna, Gabi’s mother, is also a strong believer in ghosts. She grew up in a house with a haunted room but said the two hauntings are completely different.

“In my old house I had a very bad feeling when I walked into the room, but here it’s not like that at all. Charlie is very nice and a prankster,” Vesna said.

The Akrap’s also said the ghost interferes with their microwave. They have to keep it unplugged at all times or random buttons will be pressed. These things have also happened to the microwave when it is completely unplugged.

Vesna said she has been scratched and pinched by the ghost, but it does not hurt, and she has never felt it was vicious.

“He is just very playful, not mean at all,” Vesna said.

Gabi and her family do not believe the ghost is malicious or harmful, and they find humor out of the interactions they have with ‘Charlie’.

“I think it’s funny we have a ghost, but I don’t want to wake up in the middle of the night to a black figure or something,” Gabi said. “Then it would get scary”

The Mirror