Ghost Stories: The Mirror

Entering the front door of her grandmother’s house, Francie Kuzcka looks up the stairwell to a floor length mirror. But what she sees in the reflection is not herself; it is an 18-year-old ghost named Margaret.

“When we have visitors to her house I like to act like everything’s fine, but really I just want to get out of there,” Francie, junior, said.

Out of all the family members, Francie and her younger brother Jimmy have had the most interactions with the ghosts. She describes them as two girls, one around 18 and the other around 7, who introduced themselves as Sara and Margaret.

Sara, the younger and more playful of the two, is usually spotted in the kitchen wearing a light blue party dress and a bow in her hair.

Margaret, the older and more serious one, sits on the top of the stairs and can only be seen in the reflection of the mirror, according to Francie. The family believes she once woke Francie’s grandmother up in the middle of the night to warn her the house was getting too hot. Her grandmother later discovered the furnace was broken and could have caught the house on fire, leaving the family to believe Margaret saved her life. Francie and Jimmy have had numerous conversations with these ghosts.

“I remember exactly what Sara looked like, and we would have normal conversations about my favorite color and stuff like that,” Francie said. “She was almost like a friend to me, as weird as that sounds.”

Francie and Jimmy would often color at the kitchen table asking Sara if she liked their drawings. They both would draw pictures of Sara and Margaret that directly matched the images Becky Kuzca, their mother, and the other siblings have seen.

Growing up, Becky was the first to encounter the spirits when she was home alone one night. Terrified, she called the police, who informed her there was nobody in the house. Becky learned to be more comfortable with the fact there were ghosts in the house and believes she eventually helped guide them to the other side.

According to Francie, many people who walk in the house have feelings of unease, and every member of the family except for the grandmother and grandfather still feel uncomfortable being in the house alone. Although being in the house is still unsettling for most of the Kuzcka family, they have come to believe the two girls are not as much ghosts, but their guardian angels.

“Even though [ghosts] are scary, Sara and Margaret have been nothing but nice to us,” Francie said.

More Ghost Stories