Private schoolers come to KHS

As students prepared for the first day of school, some contemplated which outfit to wear, where they would sit for lunch and who they would walk through the halls with. Julia Wilcutt, freshman, and Nick Chiodini, sophomore, had all those worries plus one more: they were transfer students from private schools.

“I went to public school all my life, and [KHS] just seems to be a much better fit for me. It only took about a semester at CBC for me to realize that Kirkwood is where I belong,” Chiodini, CBC transfer, said.

Wilcutt went to St. Peters (a private Catholic school) until her freshman year. While Chiodini was sure about transferring to KHS, the choice was not as clear for Wilcutt.

“I was also looking at St. Joe for awhile but in the end I chose Kirkwood. I just got a better vibe from everyone here and the school itself,” Wilcutt said. “I really like how there are so many things to get involved in. There is a place for everyone here.”

Chiodini said the fact there are so many things to get involved in at KHS is a big draw to the school. There is everything from Super Smash Brothers to Philosophy Club.

“I think I’m going to join the Astronomy Club. It seems like a lot of fun and I really want to just get involved,” Chiodini said.

According to Debbie Toney, guidance secretary, KHS has a record-breaking 118 new students.

“I think [parents and students] have heard that the Kirkwood School District is such a fine district. They’re impressed with what they’ve heard,” Toney said.

From what Chiodini has seen, he thinks KHS is a lot less strict. He said if students were caught with their phones out at any part of the day at CBC, they would have to pay a fine to the administrators.

From what Wilcutt has seen so far, teachers seem much more lenient with other things such as food and drinks in class as well.

“At CBC there weren’t any teachers you could chill with. I feel like that’s different here at Kirkwood, and I like that a lot,” Chiodini said.

Chiodini and Wilcutt are both positive they have made the right choice by choosing KHS for their next years in high school.

Julia Wilcutt, freshman, wears a St. Peters sweatshirt while showing off her KHS student ID. “I really like how there are so many things to get involved in. There is a place for everyone here,” Wilcutt said.