Class aims past its own shelves

Members of Karen Ambuehl’s second hour Multi-Cultural Literature class started a research project on African education just as they would any other. Soon, though, they were inspired to make a difference, and now they are attempting to do exactly that.

“We read a book about education systems in Zimbabwe and then did a research project comparing the education systems in Zimbabwe with those in our own lives,” Ambuehl, English teacher, said. “The students saw that and then said, ‘We need to do something about that.’”

Working with a charity called Donate Africa, the students put together a literature drive, collecting gently used children’s books and school supplies to send to a school in Tanzania. Students were encouraged to bring these items to their English classes, which were then awarded points based on the items they collected.

“This is one of the coolest things that’s ever happened in my educational career,” Ambuehl said, “because it came from a book and it came from the students.”

Ambuehl’s students shared her excitement about the project.

“I’m ecstatic,” Josh Levine, senior in Ambuehl’s class, said. “For one, I’m surprised that a group of high school juniors and seniors can actually get this going and reach out to another country like this.”