LEAF Club plans ambitious year

Wednesdays after school, LEAF Club members scurry around KHS, lug recycling bins from hallways and dump them out behind the school. LEAF Club has big dreams. All it needs now is the manpower to reach them.

“We had a pretty good turnout the first couple meetings, and I was really excited,” Linda Dubis, LEAF Club sponsor, said. “The last couple of meetings, we’ve only had a few people show up. I’m really hoping that we can get some more people coming to them because we need the help.”

Another problem so far this year, Dubis said, is that the recycling bins have not been as full as in the past.

“We need more people recycling,” Dubis said. “I’m disappointed that people here aren’t more excited and interested in being eco-friendly.”

If more people were to join LEAF, then the club could continue doing the duties they currently cover, like emptying the plastic and cardboard recycling bins around the school, and also expand its reach. This would include emptying the paper recycling bins in teachers’ rooms and going on club excursions like hikes or camping trips.

An increase in LEAF’s presence would benefit the school, Dubis said, because KHS receives money if the paper recycling bin is filled, though the school has not been able to make a profit in the past. The cardboard and plastic bin, which gets the most use, actually costs to maintain.

Michael Kierstead, senior and LEAF member, said he wishes more people would join as well.

“It makes our job easier so we can get more work done,” Kierstead said. “We could also a), boost awareness of the club and our mission, and b), take care of the trash cans, which is also a focus, but we don’t have enough time or members.”

Both Kierstead and Dubis urge students to join the club. Dubis said while LEAF currently meets on Wednesdays, she is willing to work to accommodate new, devoted members and invites them to come talk to her.

View Comments (1)
$1030
$500