Businesses serve as Safe Places in Kirkwood

Aimlessly wandering the aisles of Walgreens is no longer met with disapproval by managers. Sulking between the soda fountain and chip display at QuikTrip now does not warrant angry stares or calls to the police.

These warmer welcomes are due to the adoption of a system called “Safe Places,” a program run by Youth In Need, a St. Louis-based organization that provides help to local teens in need of assistance.

Businesses involved in the program display large yellow signs outside the building to show teens it is a place where they can receive help. The Kirkwood YMCA boasts one of these large signs, showing they are able to provide relief to teens in need.

“The YMCA is a  great place for youth development,” Dan Schulze, executive of teen programming, said. “There hasn’t been a high need, but when teens need help it’s good for them to know they can come here.”

UMB Bank on Kirkwood Rd. also participates in the project, along with other local branches.

“We’re happy to be a place where teens can come in and get help,” Tammy Price, UMB Bank manager, said.

If a teen enters a Safe Place location, they are able to contact any employee for help. If extra help is needed, a counselor is called from the Youth In Need headquarters in St.Charles. At most, these counselors take an hour to arrive and can then provide the help necessary.

“Families as a whole are also given help,” Price said.

Kirkwood firehouses, including those located on Sappington and Argonne, also volunteer their services as a Safe Place.

“There’s usually someone here 24 hours a day, seven days a week because of fire calls,” Deputy Leo Meyer said, “so we’re always prepared to help.”

According to Meyer, no teens have entered the Kirkwood fire stations in need of assistance. But that does not mean that Meyer is not ready.

“[Their problems] could be specific or general, but we’re trained to get them help,” Meyer said.

Though few teenagers have taken advantage of the program, students attest to the fact that they would use it if a situation arose.

“I think I would be embarrassed to go to somebody at school,” Taylor Ramsaroop, sophomore, said. “It sounds easily accessible, so if someone feels awkward asking for help at school there are alternatives.”

Some students, however would not go to a Safe Place because they do not know the person getting them help.

“I’m not against it,” Steven Fitzpatrick, junior, said. “I just don’t like talking to people I don’t know about my problems.”

Though not everyone would use this program if needed, it is still believed to be a good idea.

“[It’s a good idea] if some teens are not really comfortable talking about personal issues with people close to them,” Matthew Norman, sophomore, said.

Most businesses that participate are open all day, and can therefore help at any time. All that are involved are happy to get involved with the community and do their part to assist local teens.

“You can talk to any of the firefighters,” Meyer said. “We’re glad to help.”