School board election results

Three district residents have been elected to the Kirkwood Board of Education in the April 5, 2011 municipal election. Board members are elected to serve for three years, and the newly elected board members will be sworn in at a reorganization meeting of the Kirkwood Board of Education April 18. Heidi Meckes and E.J. Miller begin their first terms on the board and Scott Stream begins his third term.

Heidi Meckes: “I was thrilled that all of the parents and members of the community voted, and I’m really looking forward to working with the rest of the board. I feel like I’ve seen aspects of the district, and I’m also looking forward to learning about what is new in the curriculum, seeing the construction completed as a result of Proposition 1, and seeing the future achievements of students.” 

E.J. Miller: “I am both pleased and humbled to be elected, and I am thrilled for the opportunity and grateful to the citizens for electing me to the district. The things I look forward to doing are watching the implementation of Proposition 1 and continuing to improve the curriculum in both the high school and the middle schools.”

Scott Stream: “After a three month campaign, at the end of the day it’s good to get back to working on the board. We have a lot of challenges ahead of us, but as it all revolves around student achievement we need to work toward those goals. We have two new board members this year, and it has been a long time since the board has had two new members at the same time, so we’ll all have to work together to make good decisions.”