“South Pacific” spring musical preview

South Pacific by Roger and Hammerstein, chosen by the KH Players to be the spring musical, will be performed April 19, 20 and 21 at 7 p.m. in the Keating Theater. South Pacific takes place during World War 2 on a South Pacific island. It deals with racial relationship issues as well as romantic situations. Tickets can be purchased advanced in the box office or at the door, $7 for students and $10 for adults.

“Of the Roger and Hammerstein productions, it’s my favorite. It has a lot of good, strong plot changes and a lot of great songs,” Kelly Schnider, drama teacher and musical director, said. “The settings has a lot of depth to it. I’m hoping [the audience] comes and just really enjoys what we’ve done with it.”

Auditions were held in early February and the cast and crew have been working on the show since then. According to Schnider, the musical was chosen because the current group of students is ready for a musically challenging piece in terms of their vocals and the pit.

“Right now I am trying to improve my French accent because it was sounding kind of Spanish,” Tom Kirk, junior and actor, said. “Everyday I work with my mom and my sister over lines and I also did outside rehearsal with Lauren [Kelly] to go over lines with her. As for the singing, I picked it up really quickly in rehearsal.”

Although many of the students were unfamiliar with the musical, Lauren Kelly, junior and actress, and Kirk both admit to spending a lot of time trying to understand their character and both agree that their castmates have been doing the same as well. They say that working on a play or musical, whether part of the cast or the crew, is a huge commitment.

“[The cast and crew] have a lot of fun together. I am really fortunate because my character Nelly has a lot of scenes with a lot of different characters throughout the whole show, which means I have the opportunity to work with almost everyone on cast,” Kelly said. “I get to work with so many wonderfully talented people.”

View Comments (2)
$1030
$500