Fundraising plays an instrumental role in Symphonic Orchestra’s trip to New York

The KHS symphonic orchestra, conducted by Patrick Jackson, will travel to New York City to play at Alice Tully Hall in Lincoln Center for free, thanks to the successful fundraising efforts. The only fee students will have to pay is a $50 charge to check luggage at the airport. The orchestra raised $64,000, enough to pay the plane fare as well as reserving seating at pre-paid restaurants all over New York City for every meal. Leaving Feb. 28 and returning March 3, the orchestra will perform in an invitation-only competition featuring nine other outstanding high school orchestras from around the United States.

“It makes you want to practice, actually practice, to get every line right,” Toni Saputo, senior and principle bassist, said. “It’s incredible being able to perform on the same stage as Wynton Marsalis and other great musicians.”

In preparation for the trip, the orchestra along with parents and community members hosted fundraiser events and solicited donations. The students sent out letters to relatives and friends to ask for donations, held a carwash, and created an art show sale. The largest event was the Alumni Benefit concert Dec. 21, where orchestra alumni and successful graduates like John MacDaniel donated their time and played for free to give back to the community. The Alumni Benefit Concert incorporated old orchestra members and current students, and raised around $13,000 in ticket sales and donations. A large portion of the fundraising was pioneered by Mary McHugh, whose son is a member of the orchestra, who played an instrumental role by publicizing events and planning the itinerary for the trip.

The students will see the show Chicago on Broadway, go on a cruise to see the skyline and tour Manhattan and Brooklyn. The competition is scheduled for Saturday, Feb. 2, where students face orchestras from across the United States and have a chance to display their talent in front of judges from top conservatories.

“It’s a grand opportunity for such a small school, a little town, on the verge of being nationally known for excellence,” Jackson said. “It’s just stunning.”

Patch.com article on KHS New York trip

Post Dispatch article on previous trip to Carnegie Hall in 2010