Jeff Melsha recommended as new interim band director

According to an email sent by the Kirkwood Band Boosters, the KHS Pioneer Pride Band’s fundraising organization, Dr. Tom Williams will recommend to the board of education Monday evening that Jeff Melsha serve as the interim head band director for next year.

“Mr. Melsha expressed interest in the position earlier this week, so Mr. Wade and I met with him and the other band instructors. He has support from the other teachers in the program [in filling the position],” Dr. Michael Havener, principal, said. “Mr. Wade and I spoke with Dr. Williams, who went on to recommend him.”

The email reads as follows:

Dear Families in the KSD Band and Instrumental Music Program,

At Monday night’s Board Meeting, I will recommend Jeff Melsha to serve as the interim band director for the 2013-14 school year.

Mr. Melsha has been a part of the District’s band and instrumental music program for 10 years and a teacher in music education for 25 years. He holds a Master’s of Music Education from Southeast Missouri State University and a Bachelor’s in Music Education from Central Missouri State University.

Mr. Melsha’s strong leadership skills will ensure a smooth transition in our band program during this difficult time. The director position will be posted for internal and external applicants later this year, and Mr. Melsha’s current position will be posted for internal and external applicants as a one-year contract for the 2013-14 school year.

Thank you for your continued support of our students.

Tom Williams

Superintendent of Schools