Traffic troubles

Cassie Sprang
The crowded Social Studies hall at the end of the day.

Picture this; you’ve got to go from the Math building all the way to the English building, and with all the construction you take the unnecessarily long route through the Social Studies hallway. To make matters worse, it seems as though every single student is going the same way. Traffic comes to a standstill as the minutes tick by as you become increasingly late for class. It looks like this will be yet another tardy from your English teacher. 

The Social Studies hallway has always been notorious for being hard to get through. Since it’s one of the main hallways, it tends to get overcrowded in between classes. But this year, things seem to be moving extra slow. Whether it’s because people don’t know how to walk quickly, the construction or they aren’t aware that there’s other routes to take, it’s affecting students and their capability to get to class on time. This has especially been true for Charley Wellman, sophomore.

“I absolutely hate it, because all of my teachers mark me tardy when I’m not,” Wellman said. “People are slow and they don’t know how to walk, so it’s hard for me to get to class on time.”

“People are slow and they don’t know how to walk, so it’s hard for me to get to class on time.”

— Charley Wellman

Construction seems to be a constant theme throughout this last year. Remember when the main office was in the middle of campus, as far away from everything as it could possibly be? And how could we forget the long trek that had to be taken to the world language building, through a hundred degree weather, rain, snow and anything else that came along? But Addie Kuhn, sophomore, said the traffic in the Social Studies hallway has been the most annoying.

“It’s frustrating,” Kuhn said. “It takes way longer to get to class, and sometimes you’re literally just standing still in the hallway and not moving.” 

Sure, you can take other routes, but most of the time, this hallway is virtually unavoidable. Even with the Foreign Language building being an island and the main office being miles away, you can still walk quickly to make it to your class on time. But with this hallway, there’s no work around. You simply have to stand there, and there’s nothing you can do about it.

“It takes way longer to get to class, and sometimes you’re literally just standing still in the hallway and not moving.”

— Addie Kuhn

“It’s really crowded and it gets delayed, like you can’t walk.” Elsa Bischoff, freshman, said. “I don’t really need to go in that hallway a lot, sometimes I go outside or around it, but when I’m going to physics, it’s hard.”

While it can be frustrating, it is best to stay patient and calm, and definitely not push and shove other people to try and get to your classes in time. Everybody has a place to be, and only six minutes to get there. Sure, as we can see from the students featured in this piece, some people could learn to walk a bit faster, but it’s best to keep a level head and try to reason with your teachers if they hand out a tardy.