Letter to readers of The Call

Welcome to the 2010-2011 school year, and welcome to another year of The Kirkwood Call.

As you may have noticed, The Kirkwood Call flag for this issue is designed around the World Cup. We wanted to pay tribute to the first day of school theme organized by the class of 2011 and help kick off the school year.

This year, we’re upping the stakes and putting a huge focus on our website, thekirkwoodcall.com. As lifestyles shift toward the web, we recognize the importance of our online presence, and we want to make the website something students, staff and the Kirkwood community all use and enjoy. We aim to make thekirkwoodcall.com as interactive as possible, and anyone can participate by submitting a letter to the editor, suggesting quotes for Verbatim, commenting on articles or simply giving us feedback by “liking” articles, Facebook-style. We’re also accepting reader photos and videos.

The one major change to The Call this year is the increased number of pages each issue. Our staff is larger and more people than ever are reading the paper, so we will now print a 20-page edition every three weeks.

Of course, we will continue to bring you the same award-winning paper that has been serving Kirkwood High School since 1918. Like last year, The Call will be printed on 100 percent recycled paper, and it will continue to be a free publication. We will always provide a school forum for the unrestricted exchange of ideas and opinions. We will be a positive catalyst for change in order to improve the school, the student body and the community.

Most importantly, this publication exists for you. Tell us what you want to see in our print and online publication. If you read something you like, tell us. If you read something you do not like, tell us. If you want something to be included, tell us. We serve the Kirkwood community, and we need your help to make this newspaper the best possible.

We would also like to thank Kirkwood High School and the administration for its support over the years. So few schools understand how important the First Amendment is to a school community, and we feel lucky to live and work in such a supportive environment. Without the district’s help, The Kirkwood Call would be nothing near what it is today.

Once again, welcome to the 2010-2011 Kirkwood Call. Here’s to a great year!

View Comments (1)
$1030
$500