Kirkwood Park renovations seem foolish during the recession

Bad news for trout fishermen: no cold-weather fishing in Kirkwood this year. Bad news for the rest of us: the pond rehabilitation project keeping them away from their trout-y passion is costing the City of Kirkwood $600,000 so far.

It seems in these circumstances a bill approving a “face-lift” for Kirkwood pond would not have been approved like it was Aug. 5. Maybe the board members could be reminded that vanity is not a personality trait the general public applauds. Financial frustrations or not, construction will begin as soon as Greentree Festival closes up shop.

While the pond undergoes construction, it will be closed from mid-autumn to early spring. The “improvements” for the lake are to include shore landscaping, aquatic shelving in the lake’s basin and the addition of two small waterfalls. Murray Pounds, director of parks and recreation for Kirkwood, said the waterfalls will add a sort of “babbling brook effect.”

They have got to be kidding.

The ridiculousness of the situation does not end there. These plans, to be carried out by Planning Design Studio and Ideal Landscaping, are only part two of a five-part plan. Yes, the goals of part two seems to be creating something that looks like it would come out of a Snow White and friends enchanting forest scene. Now, it can only be predicted that the cost and outcome of parts three through five will be less than ideal out here in the real world.

Proponents for the project cite improved numbers of natural fish species and vegetation in the lake to come with better water flow. Also, the removal of the channel currently trapping trash between the land and the shore of a supposed island in the lake will improve the aesthetics of the area.

Turning a pond island into a pond peninsula surely that will be worth the cost.

These benefits, though, still seem minor in comparison to not only the financial cost but also for the cost to the community as well. There really is nothing quite as barren and abandoned looking as a dry lake bed. Void of all life and the calming waters that generally sustain it, this visually depressing sight will be the centerpiece of our wonderful park for the next year. This year couples, friends and families alike will miss out as the changing leaves fall into an empty basin rather than floating on the water’s surface. Frosts and snows will come and go without the frozen lake to stay behind for play. Flowers will bloom and the earth will thaw without turtles or water fowl to greet them. Orange cones and caution tape just don’t have the same ambiance.

City Council has made a poor decision on where to allot this important money during these times of need. Let people enjoy our exceptional park, now, as is. Such an insistence on adding unnecessary “babbling brook effects” will leave many residents with the frustrated sighs and rolling eyes side effects.

Please prove us wrong.