7 minutes in heaven

It’s just me versus more than 1,600 other students every day.  For six minutes between each class I fight; dodging freshmen, pushing my way through the stop-to-chat-ers and carefully gliding past those who feel they cannot put down the phone a few seconds to look up and see if they are about to run into someone.

While cutting the passing period by one minute a couple years ago may make students hurry to class faster, I have found over the past two years that for those of us who have to make the long journey from one end of campus to the next, six minutes just doesn’t cut it.

An excursion from the science or math building to south journalism, a common trek I make, usually involves a brisk walk or even jog to make it to class on time, even when I take the outside route.

Adding back that seventh minute would make the school day so much easier for not only me, but also for those who also have to make the journey from one end of campus to the other.  I’m talking about those students who have to run from math to art, science to drama, foreign language to journalism, and anyone and everyone who has to book-it to make it to class before the dreaded buzz of the on-time bell.

I am not asking for 10 extra minutes, just one. How many times have you been only 30 seconds late to class? Or slid into class just as the six-minute countdown went off, with no time to prepare for the lesson ahead and finding yourself scribbling down the first slide of notes?

The seventh minute makes a difference, whether it is just getting to class on time, or being able to make a pit stop at your locker for your forgotten essay that is due next hour.