No flying permit over this zone

With age comes sacrifice, with sacrifice comes stubbornness and with stubbornness comes overprotective, clinging-for-life parents.  And the parents who take grasp of their child’s freedom of life and tweak it to their liking are negatively affecting the child’s development.

According to the Collegiate Employment Research Institute, where 31 percent of parents submit resumes on behalf of their children, 26 percent actively promote their kids for positions and 4 percent actually attend the job interviews. This puts into question the parents’ roles, not only to a child’s well-being, but also in coining the phrase “helicopter parenting.”

This phrase is tagged to parents who hover closely above their children, rarely out of reach, whether their kids need them or not. In fear of not just physical harm but unfair treatment at school, these parents rush in to prevent any pain that could transpire.

The truth is, however, it is sometimes beneficial for a child to be frustrated, disheartened or hurt. People learn as they live. If kids are rescued from their emotional states, how do you think they’re going to handle similar emotional states as adults? The answer is simple: poorly.

Parents tend to struggle with knowing when to give freedom to their child and how to teach measured risk. It is a type of risk with consequences that is not too great but extensive enough to demonstrate a lesson in a safe manner. With risk comes reward.

Sure, parents have life experiences and learned values that kids are unfamiliar with. This has a powerful importance in certain circumstances, but for high schoolers to become adults requires greater self-sufficiency. Figuring how best to teach that can be a challenge to several parents.

Children are being protected to a point that threatens their ability later in life to break off on their own and form proper job skills and healthy relationships. Parents do not realize the damage they are doing to their kids by fighting battles for them. This is not beneficial to them becoming independent adults who make their own decisions, accept consequences and rave in their own success. Helicopter parents introduce self-doubt and make kids lazy. If children never learn how to be independent, they will have little confidence in their ability to handle problems on their own.

With goals of perfection in raising their kids, parents try to create an extraordinary figure of a child instead of a child. The focus turns into what the kid could be, not what the kid actually is. The fact is the kid will become an adult and nothing will stop that, not even a little stubbornness.