Review: Iron Man 3

MCT Campus

“Iron Man 3” is a modern superhero movie that continues the story of Tony Stark and his gadgets with fast-paced action scenes and a humorous touch compliments of Robert Downey Jr. This film adds to the accumulation of superhero movies which culminated with the release of “The Avengers” one year ago, quenching the thirst of the hyperactive children and danger-seeking adolescents around the globe. But “Iron Man 3” is not just another superhero movie.

Story: B+

Directed by Shane Black, the story of “Iron Man 3” is much like the superhero himself, full of explosives and the potential of awesome destruction, but with a man underneath the titanium suit. Tony Stark operates the Iron Man suit, and he adds the human element to the plot. The story brought us to new locations other than the typical urban scene. An action movie can only be so deep, but the writers of “Iron Man 3” manufactured a strong story.

Acting: A-

Plain and simple, Robert Downey Jr. makes this film, and once again proves that he is perfect for the role of Iron Man. Suit on, he is all about business, jetting about in the sky and pummeling villains. Suit off, he is a narcissistic mastermind full of side-splitting remarks, but also oppressed troubles from his past. Another accomplished actress, Gwyneth Paltrow (Pepper Potts), returns and is complimentary in her movie relationship with Stark. Also back for the third movie is Jon Favreau (Happy Hogan), Stark’s personal assistant. Favreau directed and played Hogan in the first two movies, but he surprisingly declined to return as director for the third.

Visual Effects/Cinematography: A

In a movie built around machinery and modern weapons, the visual aspect had to be crystal clear and eye-popping. Once again, the Iron Man franchise does not disappoint. From chemically enhanced super villains to exploding structures, the effects are what we expect from a superhero movie: awesome. However, “Iron Man 3” blasts them to a whole new level.  Also, the camera angles are solid and allow for a full view of events throughout the movie.

Musical Score: A

The public does not know how much a musical score adds to the intensity of a moment in a movie, but Brian Tyler composed a strong orchestra which carried the action-packed scenes of this movie.

Visit Tyler’s website to listen to the movie’s music:

http://www.briantyler.com/Site/Iron_Man_3.html

Overall: A-

This is a superhero movie, so do not go in looking for an incredibly deep plot and tremendous acting. However, “Iron Man 3” hits you with epic fight scenes, playful humor and special effects I think are unparalleled by any other superhero movie. No movie in this series can touch the original “Iron Man” movie, but this one is far better than the sequel. As far as superhero movies go, this one is pretty great. “Iron Man 3” has a powerful base and a humorous touch that in my opinion soares above the recent crowd of superhero movies.

View Comments (1)
$1030
$500