A girl’s guide to running

Tess Hubbard
Anna Larkin, senior, lets out a sigh of relief after crossing the finish line.

The hardest part of running is getting started: tying your shoes and stepping onto the pavement. Once you do that, it’s worth it. To make your running experience a little easier, here are some tips that I have for you as a fellow runner.

Motivation- It’s difficult to find the motivation to go for a run, especially if you haven’t been on one in a while. One of my favorite things to do while running is listening to upbeat music. It keeps me going and helps me to think about something besides how much longer I have to go. Get some cute outfits ready to go and don’t be afraid. It’s ok to do walk/run intervals at first to work up to running the whole time. Running is challenging. It can be easy to push yourself too hard, but don’t do it. Your body will regret it and you might get injured. So start slow and work up to running and cross train in between running. Cross training can include walking, swimming, biking; basically anything to build strength while recovering.

It’s difficult to find the motivation to go for a run, especially if you haven’t been on one in a while.

Gear- A good pair of running shoes is important, not only to make your running experience better, but to prevent injury. Head over to Fleet Feet (my personal favorite) or Big River Running to get fitted for shoes that are best for you. Good running shorts, tops, and a quality sports bra are super important, but quality shoes will help you the most. I also love Goodr sunglasses because they never slip and come in cute styles and fun colors. Another essential is a watch with a fitness tracker. This can be anything from an Apple watch or a Garmin to a Timex. Personally, I have an Apple Watch, but others work well as long as they track splits and mileage. Another essential I’d recommend is cute athletic wear. The options here are limitless. A few of my favorites include Vuori’s Pose Plyo tank and Target’s athletic shorts. Although, none of these are necessary except for the shoes.

As KHS girl’s cross country coach, Gina Woodard always says, “Never run alone.” If possible, always run with a friend or your dog.

Safety- It is an extra burden that girls deal with, but it is still something to be aware of. This is not to cause fear, but more for awareness. As KHS girl’s cross country coach, Gina Woodard always says, “Never run alone.” If possible, always run with a friend or your dog. That way if something were to happen, you would be together. Plus, running with friends makes it more fun. If you aren’t able to run with a friend or someone else, be sure to be extra aware of your surroundings and bring your phone. Also, don’t run in the dark, instead run when there is plenty of daylight and let a parent or family member know what route you are taking and what time you expect to be back.

Food- It is important for anyone but especially runners to eat enough food. When you run, you are quickly burning through calories so it’s vital that you replenish and re-hydrate afterwards. Even if you run early in the morning, it’s still important to get a small bite to eat before you go. For me, it’s peanut butter toast with a banana. You may need to experiment to find what’s best for you before a run as it’s different for everyone. Fueling yourself properly allows you to continue running and helps your body recover afterwards.

All in all, running is so rewarding. You get out what you put in. Yes, it’s hard but it is also a great way to stay healthy, both physically and mentally. Happy running!