Team Managers

• KING CAKE

There are those who tryout and miss the cut, and then there are those who manage for no reason other than their attraction to the game. Luke Preston, junior, was given the chance to be manager of the boys’ varsity soccer team during the 2009 season.

“I didn’t want to go home after school so I decided to stick around to watch the game,” Preston said.

Chris Steinmetz, head coach, saw Preston rounding up corner flags, shagging balls and rolling a water jug into the trainer’s office following a 2-1 win against Fox High School Oct. 13, and realized Preston had potential to be a solid manager.

“When I rolled the water in, Steiny asked me if I wanted to be team manager,” Preston said.

Preston’s great attitude and eccentric behavior has earned him respect from the players and even more from the coaches.

“He’s probably considered the team’s biggest fan,” Steinmetz said.

Preston also runs a self-made business in which he bakes an assortment of cakes to fit a size, shape and, in this case, sport.

“Last year I made a soccer ball cake for the team banquet,” Preston said. “As people started noticing my cakes, I earned the nickname ‘King Cake.’”

When not working at Qdoba or baking various cakes for his personal business, King Cake makes appearances at practices and has earned the title “Statistician,” from Steinmetz.

“You could even consider him to be a cheerleader,” Steinmetz said.

• CLAIRE O’BRIEN

In most high school sports there is a dreaded word to all those who are unsure of their athletic ability: “cut.”

Claire O’Brien, freshman, started her high school sports career with that dreaded word, when she was the last player cut from the girls’ tennis team. But instead of facing disappointment and dismissing herself from the team completely, she took an offer from Janet Verbarg, head coach, and decided to manage the team for the season.

“She asked me to stick around, and I took the job,” O’Brien said. “I was proud of myself for not being selfish, and it ended up being a lot of fun.”

O’Brien’s job included setting up courts, recording the scores of each game, in every match, for every player, and also relaying match times to players waiting for their match to begin.

“She was always willing to do a little bit extra,” Verbarg said. “She never had to come to away matches, she just wanted to help.”

Ashby Owens, senior, was O’Brein’s ride to some of the away matches, and also noticed her hard work and high spirits as team manager.

“She did just about everything but play tennis,” Owens said.

O’Brien plans on taking lessons in the off-season, and intends to tryout next year.

• TIARA MOYE

Tiara Moye, sophomore, has managed not one, not two, but three sports in her one and a quarter years at KHS. Moye managed the freshman girls’ basketball and track team in 2009 and is currently the varsity football team manager.

“I’m thinking about the future,” Moye said. “I want to say I’m interested in sports on my college application, but I’m not athletic, so I manage teams.”

Her job is unclear, but to Matt Irvin, head coach, she knows how to keep herself busy, and her coaches and players happy.

“She helps out with a myriad of responsibilities,” Irvin said. “Though her job is undefined, it can range from picking up equipment to organizing a team meeting.”

On any given Friday night, Moye, a female manager on a male-dominated team, is an individual on the turf and therefore has to find a way to be accepted.

“After our first win, I thought I would bake cakes for the entire team,” Moye said. “I think that’s when they finally started to realize I was their manager.”

Moye continues to bake three or four cakes after every win, and since the Pioneers’ opener at Rockwood Summit has become a “personal cheerleader” for some players, and because of this has earned the nickname “Sweetie.”

• TONY FONSECA

Team managers not only help out those participating in their sport, but also prepare themselves for their own season. Tony Fonseca, senior, has played varsity volleyball since he was a sophomore and has managed the girls’ varsity team since his junior year.

“I love the sport and my high school,” Fonseca said. “What better way to grow in the sport I love, in the school I love, than manage this team?”

During practice Fonseca bumps, sets and spikes with the girls. He believes he not only benefits from the extra practice, but the girls also do from playing against different competition.

“The physicality of boys’ volleyball is a lot different than girls,” Fonseca said. “When I swing or block, it helps them pass harder balls and swing at better angles.”

Julie Goodmann, head coach, is also a strong believer in how much the girls have improved due to Fonseca’s extra help and enthusiasm during practice.

“He’s dedicated to making all our girls better,” Goodmann said. “Every day he motivates our girls to practice at a higher level, and it absolutely works.”

For his duties, Fonseca has received six shirts, a spot on the bench three seats from the end and a clipboard full of stats to fill out.

• MACKENZIE CARR

Mackenzie Carr, senior, has served duties as co-girls’ varsity volleyball manager for the past two years. Carr is reminded of her past when she watches the girls play and loves watching their incredible serves.

“They get lots of aces, and that makes us excited,” Carr said.

Goodmann says that Carr is the team’s “good luck charm,” and that she has a special place in the hearts of every girl on the team.

“She’s incredibly uplifting and encouraging on the bench,” Goodmann said. “Her advice during time-outs makes us all smile.”

Megan Miener, junior, sits next to Carr during every match, and enjoys her presence more and more with each high-five she hands out.

“She’s always so enthusiastic and making me laugh,” Miener said. “She just has a great personality.”

Carr has been friends with several seniors since grade school and even played with Suzanne Hesse, senior and varsity starter. Hesse remembers not only playing with Carr in third and fourth grade, but also holding a close friendship with her.

“We played for St. Peters in CYC volleyball league, and were really good friends,” Hesse said. “I’m glad we could find a way to include her on the team.”

Carr says she misses playing a lot but will miss managing the girls even more.

“I love this game,” Carr said. “But I love all the girls more.”