Griggs diagnosed with season-ending knee condition

Although Marcus Griggs, sophomore, started every game of varsity soccer his freshman year, he will not see a minute of playing time this season.

Last June, not long before his club team’s biggest tournament, Griggs, defenseman and stopper, went to a doctor and was  diagnosed with Osteochondritis Dissecans, a condition which occurs when a piece of bone in the knee loses blood supply and dies.

“It sucked,” Griggs said. “It was right before State Cup, and the doctor told me I couldn’t play. I had to sit on the bench and watch my team play.”

The healing process takes around six months, and there is no easy treatment once the condition develops.

“The doctor said the only thing I can do is walk and swim,” Griggs said. “I’m not really doing [any rehab]. The only way I can do rehab is if the bone is fully grown in again.”

Chris Steinmetz, varsity head coach, noticed Griggs moving differently on his knee in May when Griggs told him he had scheduled a doctor’s appointment to have it looked at. Neither realized the severity of the condition at the time.

“It’s a very unfortunate deal, but our main concern is that he can get better, take the proper steps, get it healed and taken care of,” Steinmetz said. “He’s got a lot of potential to be a great soccer player, and a great athlete in a lot of other things too.”

While Griggs is still sitting on the bench during the games and occasionally filming for the team, he struggles not being on the field.

“I miss playing sports and being able to run everyday,” Griggs said. “I used to have sports everyday after school, and now I can’t do anything.”

One of his teammates, Deion Corley, sophomore goalkeeper, also started varsity as a freshman, and he believes Marcus is not only missed for his athletic talent but also for his personality .

“Team chemistry is a big part,” Corley said. “There are a lot of kids who aren’t the same on the team this year, and we need that to click before we can win some games, and he would help with that.”

While there is no chance he will return this season, Griggs would like to be back for club soccer in February and has a goal in mind for next season.

“I want to win at least one game in the playoffs, because last year we got killed,” Griggs said. “But mainly, I just want to be able to play soccer again.”