Pioneer guard to become a Tiger

Pioneer guard to become a Tiger

Lianna Doty has always pictured herself playing college basketball.

A senior and four-year starting guard on the varsity girls’ team, Doty is well on her way to fulfilling this dream. She was offered and committed to a full-ride scholarship to play Division I basketball for the University of Missouri, who have had scouts watching her since her sophomore year.

“I had quite a few options,” Doty said. “But once I went there and saw the coaching staff, I really fell in love with everything there and the school in general.”

However, it was not just the basketball program that drew Doty to Mizzou. Academically, she plans on studying engineering or kinesiology (the study of human movement).

“I really love the teachers there, the engineering professors I met. They help out a lot because that’s a hard thing to do when you’re doing a Division I sport, and they really support you in doing both and getting the help you need,” Doty said.

Her love of the coaching staff, style of play and location of campus were also major contributors to her decision. It was also important to her that home games were close enough for family to come and watch her play.

Doty is not the only one who views this as a great fit. Jennifer Putnam, assistant coach for the Mizzou basketball team, was the first at the school to see Doty play. According to Putnam, Doty “fits right in” with Mizzou’s motion offense and fills a needed position.

“We’re impressed with where she is at that age,” Putnam said. “She’s our ideal kind of point guard. Someone we’ve been able to watch over the years. We know she’s going to have a successful career here and be great for our program.”

Brad Sutterer, KHS varsity girls’ basketball team head coach, said Doty is “every coaches’ dream” and shares many of the same views that Putnam does.

“I think Lianna is good for Mizzou,” Sutterer said. “It challenges her to play basketball at a high level. It’s a win-win, a win for Mizzou and a win for Lianna.”

Putnam said Doty’s personality also attracted Mizzou, saying she is a driven player who is unselfish, coachable, determined and has a real passion for the game.

“[She’s a] great kid,” Putnam said. “Coming in, she’ll impact on and off the court. She has all the tools to help us right away.”

This passion for basketball in which Putnam stated, started at a young age, according to Doty. Ever since fifth grade, when she played at Mathews-Dickey Boys’ and Girls’ Club, she has been competitive.

In eighth grade, Doty played for Gateway basketball and the Missouri Phenom basketball team. Once in high school, she played for Team Adidas during the off-season.

Other than off-season club basketball, Doty also practices individually.

“Usually each month I have something I want to focus on,” Doty said. “And then I usually make my own workouts depending on what I think I really need to work on. But then I have a key main focus like a pull-up jump or something that I’m working on just that month.”

This thinking and concentration continues throughout the game for Doty..

“I have a next-play mindset, because there are a lot of ups and downs during a game and you can’t get caught up in that moment. You always have to know that there is a next play so you can’t get down on yourself for a mistake because mistakes happen,” Doty said.

Sutterer has a front row seat to watch Doty perform and said she is intense, a leader and smart player on the court. He also said she makes up for her height of 5’6 by making great defensive plays and taking away the opposing players’ strengths.

Doty said her most memorable moment as a basketball player came junior year, when varsity won the district championship. KHS defeated Cor Jesu Academy, 55-30, and Doty racked up 16 points.

“It was just really cool because everyone on our team really stepped up and played really well,” Doty said. “We had lost to the team earlier in the season, and it was just really cool to see how well our team played together. It was probably our best game of the year and to come back and beat the team was really spectacular.”

Doty can see herself playing basketball after college, in her future.

“I would love to play in the WNBA or play overseas after college, but I could definitely see myself coaching. I love the game, so I’ll keep involved somehow,” Doty said.

But for now, Doty is focused on her senior year in basketball. And in one year, she will be living her dream at Mizzou.

“All the pieces just seem to fit together,” Doty said.