Teacher super-fans express their college obsessions

David Olderman -Ohio State-

Growing up in Ohio, being an Ohio State University Buckeye fan was part of the culture for David Olderman, history teacher.

From the time he was born, the environment around him, his parents and his peers told Olderman to have pride in his state and be an Ohio State fan. Olderman even recalls taking Ohio State history classes in junior high school.

“I was raised that way. My dad was a Buckeye, a graduate. It was a nature-nurture thing,” Olderman said.

However, the script did not play out in Olderman’s favor. Ohio State was not interested in him as a wrestler. Instead, Olderman attended John Carroll University, a small Catholic and Jesuit university 150 miles north of Ohio State. Olderman graduated from John Carroll in 1984.

Despite never taking a class, Ohio State is still a big part of his life. He owns Buckeye sweatshirts and makes bets with fellow teachers.

“I made a bet with Mr. Parini, Ohio State was playing his alma-mater, Siena college, a couple years ago in the March Madness tournament,” Olderman said. “Our bet was we had to sing the fight song of the opposing school if our team lost. Ohio State lost, so I had to get up during lunchtime and sing that.”

Olderman also teases Griffin Goodrich, senior, a Michigan State University fan, who is Ohio State’s archrival.

“It’s kind of a running joke,” Olderman said. “Whenever Ohio State and Michigan meet, depending on how the other one does, one of us will give the other a hug. I saw him last week, Ohio State had beat Michigan in basketball, and I asked him if he wanted a hug. He said he was good.”

Olderman said some people claim he is not a true Ohio State fan since he never attended the school. However, Olderman is thinking about changing that.

“I still think about taking online classes at Ohio State and getting a certificate, just to say I went there,” Olderman said.

Elizabeth O’Neill -Georgia-

Above Elizabeth O’Neill’s ActivBoard sits Uga, the University of Georgia mascot. This small stuffed dog is a familiar face for students in O’Neill’s Spanish classes and is a symbol of her beloved
college.

O’Neill grew up in Georgia, and when she decided to transfer from Augusta State University after her sophomore year in college, she chose to once again stay in-state.

“Georgia is one of the best state universities in the state of Georgia,” O’Neill, University of Georgia graduate of 2005, said. “It is a beautiful campus and it is a great education. It’s both rigorous and enjoyable.”

O’Neill said the University of Georgia had around 38,000 students at the time she attended. The college was large in size, and O’Neill said it was so spacious she sometimes had to take a bus from one class to another.

O’Neill was comfortable living in Georgia. UGA provided the same feeling.

“There is a sense of that southern hospitality,” O’Neill said. “People are friendly. You’re gonna talk to people. If you walk by somebody you’re gonna look at them and say ‘hi.’”

The social aspect of Georgia was not the only aspect O’Neill loved about the college. The academics were a fit as well.

“[The] Education classes were intensive,” O’Neill said. “My Spanish classes were difficult; reading novels and plays. It was a challenge which I enjoyed.”

Though she now lives 11 hours away, O’Neill has not forgotten about her time at Georgia. She still wears her Georgia t-shirts and loves the school.

“Living here, the University of Georgia is never mentioned,” O’Neill said. “So if someone ever mentions it here or I drive by a car with a Georgia sticker, it’s like immediate excitement.”

That excitement is present when O’Neill meets up with fellow Georgia fans to watch Bulldog football games. O’Neill describes these gatherings as relaxing, but it also brings back many memories.

Even when she does not know the person, as long as they are a Georgia fan, O’Neill said it is an automatic conversation starter.

“If I see anyone with a Georgia t-shirt, I will walk up to them and talk to them because they’re someone from back home,” O’Neill said. “It’s always a friendly conversation. We talk about how much we love Georgia and the city of Athens.”

Georgia is not just a part of her social life. O’Neill even expresses her love for her college occasionally during her Spanish classes.

“Any time students talk about it or ask about colleges, I brag and act like it is the best, because I really think it is a fabulous city and a fabulous university,” O’Neill said.

Bob Teson -Mizzou-

Bob Teson, history teacher, said he accidentally fell into college when he found himself at Truman State University after high school.

“Honestly, I went to college because I was in love with a girl, and I didn’t think about schools or anything. I went to Truman at first because that’s where she went,” said Teson, 1984 University of Missouri graduate.

When the relationship did not work out, Teson found himself lost and looking for other school. After talking with friends attending the University of Missouri in Columbia, it seemed like a good fit to him, so he transferred.

Teson now views this choice as one of the shining moments in his life, as Mizzou ended up being a perfect fit. Unlike Kirksville where Truman is located, Columbia had the big-time college atmosphere at Mizzou, which Teson liked.

Looking back, Teson said it was maybe the most formative moment of his life, and the school helped him in many ways.

“I was not a great student when I went to Mizzou,” Teson said. “I learned how to be a good student at Mizzou. I learned how to study. I was around great people. Some of the friendships I made there are still some of my best friends now.”

Teson still tailgates for Mizzou sporting events with his college friends. As a season ticket holder, Teson said he probably likes Mizzou sports more now than when he was a student.

Teson thinks without Mizzou, he would not be the person he is today.

“The University of Missouri is a public college, and they are open to many different kinds of kids,” Teson said. “If you want to go to a Stanford or Harvard you have to be elite in your class. A lot of people are not that kid. Missouri was exactly what I needed. It met me where I was at and made me a better student.”

View Comments (1)
$1030
$500