Kirkwood varsity girls’ soccer hosts annual charity game

photo courtesy of Lauren Bordeaux
photo courtesy of Lauren Bordeaux

Kirkwood varsity girls’ soccer team hosted their fourth annual Kick For Cancer Game at Lyons Stadium, April 18 at 6 pm. As part of the Kirkwood-Webster tournament, the Pioneers faced the Ladue Rams and won 2-0 in the charity game.

With around 150-200 fans in attendance, the fundraiser included a $25 dollar raffle and $5 raffle, with prizes like four Cardinals box tickets, a private photography session and a soccer ball signed by Kirkwood alum and current Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Jeremy Maclin. T-shirts and signed jerseys were also sold, and the Kirkwood team wore pink jerseys donated by Johnny Macs.

One of the most popular parts of the evening came at halftime, where kids could take a penalty kick on a Pioneer goalie. The cost was $1 for younger kids, and $3 for middle school and high school students.

Even though the annual fundraiser has only been in existence for a short time, the amount of money raised each year has continued to increase. The first year they raised $1,000, then $2,000 and finally $2,080 last year.

“The best thing is how everyone comes together, the parents, the players and coaches, even the opposing team,” Phil Cotta, head coach, said. “They understand its for a good cause and is something bigger than just a soccer game.”