Athlete of the week: Clayton Shead

Athlete of the week: Clayton Shead
Chris Winget

On Sept. 24 the boys’ varsity soccer team played an intense game against Rockwood Summit. The teams were tied at one as the second half was coming to a close. Clayton Shead, senior, came up with the game-winning goal just in time. Kirkwood won 2-1.

“I accomplished something big for myself and the team,” Shead said. “It boosted my confidence and made me better.”

Shead also scored another goal Sept. 27, giving Kirkwood the lead against Parkway West. Kirkwood won 3-2 in penalty kicks.

According to Shead, playing on the team had been fun for the past four years, but this year the best part is playing with his teammates.

“We are an interesting group of guys that come from different backgrounds to play together,” Shead said.

Being a senior captain comes with a lot of responsibility to be a leader and keep the team consistently getting better.

“We all play well together,” Shead said. “We come to play and win.”

This season, Shead had four goals and eight points on five shots and one game-winning goal.

Shead is excited for college, though he is not sure he is going to continue playing soccer. Currently, his goal is to keep up his good grades, while continuing to excel in soccer for the rest of his high school season.

Shead’s senior year has had its highlights, but his favorite part was playing with his team, and playing for Kirkwood.

“I will miss playing for Kirkwood,” Shead said, “I will miss my team and  playing with these guys.”