Early bracketology

Early+bracketology
Courtesy of Kurt Strazdins

With Selection Sunday 16 days away I am going to give you advice on what teams will be possible busts, winners and cinderella for this year’s tournament.

Possible Busts:
Creighton– I have not and will not be a believer in Doug McDermott and the Blue Jays. The Blue Jays, who are 22-7 right now, are not anything special. The team solely depends on the performance of McDermott in every game. The luck they have this year will not get them past the second round of the tournament. For your bracket, have Creighton losing early.

Missouri– As much I hate to go against my favorite team in college basketball, the Tigers aren’t capable of doing well in this year’s tournament. The Tigers, who will most likely be an eight or nine seed, do not have the consistency to make it past the second and possibly first round of the tournament. In order for Missouri to win and do well in this tournament, Laurence Bowers and Phil Pressey will have to be top-notch every game and drop at least 15 points each game.

Possible Winners:
Michigan State– The Spartans have proven that they can go head-to-head for 40 minutes against any team in the nation. The ability of the Spartans’ big men to rebound and score from medium range gives them a superb advantage against opposing teams. I’d watch the Spartans to easily get into the Final Four and possibly win it all.

Indiana– It’s almost inevitable that everyone’s pick to win it all this year will be the Hoosiers. The only two words that can define this team are Victor Oladipo. Oladipo is one of the greatest players I have seen play college basketball. He is underrated and unknown that teams take him out of the picture on basically every possession. He is a force with and without the ball which allows him to contribute every way possible. Indiana is my favorite to win the tournament this year.

Possible Cinderellas:
Saint Louis– It’s hard to believe that the Atlantic-10 conference leader isn’t Butler. The Billikens, who have dominated rival Butler this season (2-0), have proved not only to the A-10, but also to the nation that they can play some great basketball. For having only five losses, the Billikens play as if they have none every night. Their scoring doesn’t define them, it’s their defense that allows them to win close games. If you are looking for a good mid-ranked pick in the tournament the Billikens will be your team.

Minnesota– The Golden Gophers are by far one of the best upset-ready teams entering the tournament. The Gophers have beaten Indiana, Michigan State and Illinois this season, boosting their possibilities of the cinderella team. Their offense is boosted around three-point shooting which opens up the paint versus opponents. The Gophers will be deadly offensively in the tournament this year.