A farewell to Steven Jackson

Nala Turner

Dear Steven Jackson,

I feel like a knife has been jammed into my lung. My heart has been shattered. My soul, ripped out and discarded like a used tissue. I feel betrayed. You have left the St. Louis Rams.

It doesn’t make sense. You had no reason to leave. Think of all the great times with the Rams. After being drafted with pick 24 in the first round by St. Louis in 2004, you got to spend your rookie season backing up Marshall Faulk. The next year you took the reins full-time. Since then, you put up eight consecutive 1,000 yard rushing seasons, went to three Pro Bowls (2006, 2009, 2010), was the NFC rushing champion (2009) and became the Rams all-time leading rusher, eclipsing 10,000 yards in your illustrious career.

Let’s not forget about the other memories. The Rams made the playoffs back in 2004. Most people don’t remember, but it happened. It’s only been nine years. That means they’re due for another playoff run. Not to mention all those wins the Rams have had. I mean I know going 15-65 over a five-year period is an NFL record for futility, but the Falcons haven’t won a single game in more than two months.

So what is this really about? You want to “win a championship.” They’re so overrated. Just ask Cubs fans. The Rams aren’t that far away from one themselves. They only need to get better in three areas: offense, defense and special teams. Other than that, they’re so close to success.

I’m going to miss you, man. I feel like I’m the Robin to your Batman, the Garfunkel to your Simon, the Lois Lane to your Superman. We had a great thing going. You spin and stiff arm huge football players so you can score touchdowns while I sit on my couch and yell at the TV. We’re a team. Now you’re throwing all this away. I bet you never stopped once to think how I would feel.

Think about it, Steven, the grass isn’t greener in Atlanta. It doesn’t get any greener than the fake grass on the Rams field.

Love,

Sincerely,
Edward Hoganson

P.S. Good luck in Atlanta. I hope you get that championship. You are the greatest Ram to ever wear the blue and gold.