State qualifiers: tennis and golf

October 30, 2015

Bridget Mayfield, senior, talks with a teammate.

Courtesy of Bridget Mayfield

Four-time state qualifier Bridget Mayfield placed seventh in the girls’ singles tennis State Championships. This was her fourth and final time in the championships at the high school level. Mayfield said after her freshman year, when she placed second at state, she set a precedent for herself to win districts every year and that became her mindset for each playoff season. Mayfield practices in the off-season with a private coach, something KHS girls’ tennis coach Nick Janett finds important. She finds the championships different because she is representing herself and her school. Mayfield has been playing competitively since she was 9 years old. “It’s definitely helped me through middle school and high school learn how to manage my time,” she said. Mayfield plans to continue in college next year, but is still weighing her options.

Courtesy of Bridget Mayfield

Jumping up 40 places in the state rankings was no easy task for Sophia Roth, who finished 4th at state this year. She never expected how successful she would be playing golf this season. Roth, senior, has been playing golf since 6th grade for her CYC team. After placing top 40 her junior year, Roth started practicing her golf skills almost everyday. Shawn Owens, KHS girls’ golf coach, said, “She’s worked really hard for the last four years.” Practicing everyday after school and over the weekends, and participating in summer tournaments proved valuable to Roth. After battling nerves and having a round that placed her high up in rank the first day, Roth said she was worried about messing up the last day. She expected to place top 15 but was surprised when she found she had made 4th place. “I knew I had the potential, but didn’t think I could ever reach that potential and perform that well,” Roth said. Roth aspires to play golf next year in college, but is undecided.

Sophia Roth, senior, taking a swing at the state championship match.
Courtesy of Sophia Roth