Fall sports preview

Ava McGovern
The Kirkwood Girl’s Field Hockey varsity team prepares for their first game on 8/25

As August rolls in, KHS athletes come home from their summer vacations and gear up for another year of chasing state championships and district titles. Also listed below is each team’s first 3 events.

“I am most looking forward to having the chance to set a new PR and to spend time with the cross country community. [It] feels like I’m part of a family.” – Joey Harrison, junior

“I am most looking forward to seeing myself get faster and spending time with my teammates. We are all so incredibly close. [We are] not only best friends during practice, but outside of our sport too.” – Phoebe Canatsey, senior

“I’m looking forward to seeing all of my teammates and playing on the new turf. [I want]to be the best teammate I can be because [our] team is special because of the bond we have.” – Allie Bert, senior

“I’m most looking forward to spending every day with my friends [and] winning. We are [a] close-knit [team] and even the people that aren’t super close on the team still support each other.” – Mary Barbieri, senior

“I want to become a better leader since it’s senior year and I want our team to have a good run this year [because] we have a good amount of seniors this year.” – Leo Marino, senior.

“I am most looking forward to being with the team. We know we aren’t as skilled as some of the teams we play, but that doesn’t stop [us].” – Reed Ruppert, senior

“I am most looking forward to being on the field with the guys I grew up with. Our team is special because of the energy and bond we have.” – Creighton Wise, senior 

“I am most looking forward to [leading] the most influential sports team [at KHS]. Our team is special because I think a lot of people doubt us [since] we lost [graduates] Deion [Brown] and Tyler [Macon], so we have lots to prove.” – Rick Williams, senior

I’m looking forward to being a senior on the team and playing tennis with my friends. Varsity tennis is a pretty small group of players so all of us become very close. We all go get slushies or go to Culver’s after practices and matches and build in lots of team bonding throughout the season.” – Lilly Strickland, senior

“I think we have [a lot] of different talent on our team this year. We have a really good work ethic. [I’m looking forward to] bonding with the team.” – Zoey Daniels, junior

“[I] want to give it my best at all times and become stronger with pitching. [And] work together as a team and have a good last season together.” –  Skylar Moffat, senior

“[I’m looking forward to] getting to be with the senior girls because it’s our last year together and the laughs we have at practice. The bond that all of the girls have even though we all have different social lives [is special].” – Nora Koranda, senior

“[I’m looking forward to] playing my last matches and being with this group for the last time. We don’t care if we win or lose, we just enjoy being together.” – Cameron Forness, senior

“As a program, there’s very much a family aspect but with each [level]  individually it’s stronger and those girls go from just teammates to sisters on the court. Everybody is so kind and welcoming and you become very close with the girls you play with.” –  Addy Mohler, sophomore

“I want to be consistent and use tactics when I’m hitting. I’m looking forward to playing with new people [because] we all play together really well.” – Sloan Levitt, sophomore