KHS 2010 Talent Show

Moments before the talent show Delaney Smallwood, junior, waited anxiously backstage. Surrounding her were jugglers, singers, drummers, rappers and magicians. The auditorium was dark with few spotlights on stage and within a few minutes each performer was about to show off their talent. This was the opportunity for recognition and the moment to share something deeper.

“Over a year ago, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer,” Smallwood said. “Over the summer, the doctors told her she will not have much longer to live from little to six months up until a year. Tonight she thinks she is coming for my parent teacher conferences and does not know anything about the talent show. I picked a song from A Walk to Remember and am dedicating it to her. It will probably be the last time she sees me on stage.”

Smallwood was not the only one who conveyed a powerful message to the audience. Bands, jugglers and other musical talents preformed with passion as well.

“For once I am not completely shaking,” John Steffen freshman, and guitarist in the band Mind fields said. “Our band has played a couple of gigs, and for this one, I am more excited than nervous.”

The hour long show entertained the full auditorium with Dana Clark, senior, receiving third place, Charlie Jaschek and Phil Cook, juniors, receiving second place and Will Haenni, junior, receiving first place.