To snow or not to snow: that is the question

Every potential snow day is a process that spans several days of work for administrators and KSD maintenance workers. The Kirkwood Call goes behind the scenes of what administrators go through every snow day.

-THE DAY BEFORE-
8:50 a.m.
Frank Parini, social studies teacher, goes on the announcements that morning, and all the while Jim Wall, director of buildings and grounds, looks at the weather on the National Weather Service’s website as he will do throughout the day to check for storms headed toward Kirkwood.

12:15 p.m.
District maintenance workers put a pre-salt on the sidewalks and parking lots.

9 p.m.
Tom Williams, superintendent, has a conference call with other area superintendents and the manager of the Volunteer Transfer Students program. They discuss the coming weather and if their districts will close the next day or not.

-THE DAY OF-
3 a.m.
The trucks are sent out to plow the parking lots in the schools around the district, leaving the lots open for students and teachers to park.

5 a.m.
Williams talks to the assistant superintendents who have been surveying the surrounding area to see if driving is possible. The maintenance staff comes in to shovel the walks and stairs an hour earlier than they come in on normal days.

5:15 a.m.
Williams must make a decision on canceling school and send out the automated call to the district.

View Comments (2)
$1030
$500