Tape figures invade art hallway

As students enter the KHS Art Building this school year, what they see might surprise them: sculptures made from packing tape fill the hallways.

“It’s my ice breaker project,” Nancy Grimes, art teacher, said about the unique packing tape people sculptures lurking in the KHS hallways.The sculptures are made of $60 worth of clear packing tape, a little creativity, and a lot of hard work.

The projects were made by Sculpture 1 and 2 classes during the first week of school, and the students hope they will stay up until around the Friendship Dance.

“Students are actually very respectful of them.  This is my fourth year with this project and no one really seems to bother them,” Grimes said.

To create these sculptures, students wrap the tape around the students limb, having the sticky side up.  Then they wrap another layer of tape with the sticky side down, so the two sides meet. Next the students cut the tape off and tape the pieces together to create a hollow limb.

“It’s hysterical.  People walk in during the class and see people being wrapped with tape.  It’s a very awkward, but funny moment,”  Grimes said.

Each group had three to six rolls and four people to work with. Hannah Eades, senior, and three other sculpture students made a football player sculpture.

“We worked together to make our project the best we could.  I am very proud of it,” Eades said.

View Comments (1)
$1030
$500