Athlete of the week: Eric McWoods

Chris Winget

Eric Mcwoods, junior, has gotten off to an impressive start for the boys’ varsity soccer team.  On the season he has 32 points, 12 goals and eight assists, leading the team in both categories.  Mcwoods also has three game winning goals on the season.  He was named the St. Louis American’s Prep Athlete of the Week for the week of September 21st.  Last week McWoods scored a game-winning goal in a 1-0 win over Pattonville, and three goals against Lindbergh before the game was terminated.

“To get [the award] meant a lot because of the great season we are having,” McWoods said.

While the award is a great honor for him, McWoods is focused on winning each game with his team.  On Oct. 11 the team defeated Seckman 6-0.  McWoods had two goals in the game.

Before each game, McWoods listens to his favorite music and prepares himself by visualizing what he is going to do in the game.

In the first round of the annual CYC/Bob Guelker memorial tournament, McWoods put his skill on display in a battle against Oakville.  He used his lethal speed to escape past defenders and buried the only goal of the match.

McWoods also plays for his club soccer team, Lou Fusz, throughout the rest of the year.  One of his most memorable moments is winning the 2011 State Cup.  He had a hat trick, or three goals, in the game.  McWoods is a scoring threat at any time.  Opposing teams keep an eye on him at all times, and have even been forced to double team him to slow him down.

Ever since his freshman year, McWoods has played varsity soccer.  He also plays basketball and runs track for Kirkwood.

The boys’ varsity soccer team is 11-3-2 this season and will play Webster Groves in a rivalry match on Tuesday, Oct. 16th.