Bartin wins award

Joe Bartin receives his award Dec. 7.
Andrew Conroy
Joe Bartin receives his award Dec. 7.

Joe Bartin, physics and astronomy teacher, was recognized Dec. 7 as one of the nation’s most innovative educators by the ING Unsung Heroes competition. Bartin applied last spring for the grant. The program awarding Bartin strives to award teachers who use innovative techniques to improve students’ learning. Bartin received $2000 toward his program “Keep your Eyes on the Skies.”

Bartin designed “Keep your Eyes on the Skies” to interest students in astronomy from an early age through different events. These events include holding Star Parties where high school students help the younger students get interested in and excited about astronomy by showing them stars and planets in the night sky. Bartin says he plans to put the $2000 he won toward purchasing more equipment for these programs, such as telescopes.

“It was really exciting [to win the award],” Bartin said. “It’s really great ING does things like this, because it definitely doesn’t have to. And it’s nice to be given the opportunity to try new things.”