Bromance will go down in history

David Olderman stands in the doorway, ready for his coaching duties, as Bob Teson and Timothy Harig heckle him over his choice of tight, shrunken shorts.

“Are those what you usually wear to practice? You need some new ones,” Harig says, while Teson nods in agreement.

With their rooms just six strides apart, Teson, Harig and Olderman call the history hallway home. They are close enough that their friendship can officially be classified as a “bromance,” or what Urban Dictionary describes as “the complicated love and affection shared by straight males.”

While they may be good friends, it took a few years for the teachers to develop the relationship they now share.  Teson, the first of the three teachers to join the KHS faculty 26 years ago, was shortly followed by Harig, then Olderman.

“We weren’t bromancing when [Harig and Olderman] first got here; it took a while, like all good things,” Teson said.

The original goal for the teachers was to focus on family, but during the school hours they needed a colleague with whom to talk. As Harig said, there are many things about a job that can be dehumanizing, so it is nice to be able to go outside the classroom and chat between classes. The close knit circle they have formed is one that even causes jealousy among teachers outside their department.

“On occasion, Dr. Holley tries to push his way into the group, but we kick him out,” Harig said.

The three teachers became friends through mutual interests such as their love of the outdoors and similar taste in music. The three teachers went to see Bob Dylan at the Fox a few years prior, and are planning on attending another concert in the future.

“It’s kind of a department thing that we all like the same styles of music,” Olderman said.

Their bromance is not limited to the school grounds and continues after the final bell. From hiking at Hawn State Park to staying in Olderman’s Minnesota cabin with their families, there is never a shortage of activities or adventures for the three.  The kids are fully aware of the situation with their fathers.

“My dad, Mr. Olderman and I have actually gone paintballing together before,” Louis Teson, freshman, said. He agrees they are in a bromance, and the teachers are always stoked to see each other no matter where they are or what they are doing.

But with these men it always comes back to wardrobe, as Teson and Olderman own matching shirts. Working to convince Harig to purchase one, they also strive to have him leave his shirt loose as they do. He says he aspires to untuck, but no plans have been made to change his ways.

“It’s probably one of the biggest wedges in our friendship,” Teson said.

View Comments (1)
    $1030
    $500