Kirkwood takes on Webster in state semifinals

The Kirkwood Pioneers will take on the Webster Groves Statesmen tonight at 7 p.m. at Lyons Stadium in the state semifinals.

In the first round of the playoffs, Kirkwood (9-3) came up with a narrow victory against Holt, 19-14. In the second round, the Pioneers gave the Fort Zumwalt East Lions their first loss with a 47-27 win to advance to the state quarterfinals. Then, in the state quarterfinals, Kirkwood beat Camdenton 19-14 with help from an interception by Jordan Bishop, sophomore, in the final seconds of the game.

Thus far in the playoffs, Webster (12-0) has beaten Seckman, Rockwood Summit and Hazelwood East. The Statesmen won all of the games by more than 25 points and are currently on a 26-game winning streak that began last year.

The winner of tonight’s game will take on either Lee’s Summit West or Staley in the state finals Nov. 26 at 7:30 p.m. The state championship game will be held in the Edward Jones Dome in downtown St. Louis. Kirkwood has not been to the state championship game since 2006, when it lost to Raymore-Peculiar. Webster is the reigning state champion.

View Comments (3)
$1030
$500