KHS snowboarders find Hidden Valley

For most snowboarders, the opportunity to hit the slopes only comes once or twice a year. But for St. Louis area boarders, there is Hidden Valley ski resort in Wildwood.
    Conner Rogan, sophomore and snowboarder for three years, has a season pass to Hidden Valley and goes two to three times a week. Rogan was introduced to the sport by middle school friends and has now shared his hobby to his friends, including Dylan Rankin, sophomore.
    Rankin was introduced by Rogan during freshman year and goes with him and his friends. He also has a season pass.
    “I have fun every time we go,” Rankin said. “Even if you are not as skilled as other people, it’s still fun to learn new tricks.”
    Rogan’s favorite part of snowboarding is when he lands a trick he has been working on for a while.
    “I love the feeling,” Rogan said. “It’s a rush and your heart’s pounding.”
    While neither have competed, Rogan likes the idea of going to a competition at Hidden Valley.
    “When you compete, you’re pushed to do your best tricks,” Rogan said. “I think it’d be really fun to show off everything you do.”
    Andrew Conroy, freshman, has snowboarded for three years. Instead of being introduced by friends, however, he wanted to try the sport after watching the Winter X Games.
    “Seeing Shaun White really made me want to try it and see if I liked it,” Conroy said.
    While Conroy would like to compete, he thinks he needs to work a little more before going to events.
    Conroy often goes with his friends, but he meets people there as well and rides with them. He enjoys being able to do whatever he wants to.
    “I like just having the freedom to just ride down the mountain and do jumps, rails or whatever you can find,” Conroy said.