300 Words: Libya

A controversial decision was made March 19, when President Obama decided to launch 112 long-range Tomahawk cruise missiles from the Libyan coast in order to enforce a no-fly zone for Muammar Gadhafi, leader of Libya. This decision not only blew up Libyan air defenses, but also the serene atmosphere in the United States. But when it comes to disagreeing with Obama’s decision, agree on this; it saved lives.
    The no-fly zone operation was aimed at protecting Libyan civilians from Gadhafi’s violent crackdown upon the rebellions. Once the missiles were fired, North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) forces were expected to take over so the United States would not get its hands tied with another war.
            And strategy happened according to plan.
    The reason people are upset is because it was a dangerous risk to attack a distressed country, putting the United States in the potential situation of needing troops for support. The United States cannot afford another war with its economy in shambles. But then again, human lives are more important than money in the country’s pocket.
            When a potential genocide has the risk of taking place in Libya, it is always best to stop it when there is opportunity. That opportunity required a quick, swift action to last only a matter of days before other forces relieve the Untied States from its post.
            Since the start, air strikes have neutralized Gadhafi’s air force and pounded his army. The intent is to set up conditions to make it possible for the enforcement of a no-fly zone expected to cover most of the northern parts of Libya.
    The citizens of Libya are trying to fight against the oppressions forced upon them by Gadhafi and his government. It is not wrong to dismiss those in need. It is immoral.