Anthony Smith’s legacy lives on

Anthony Smith, 2001 KHS graduate, was a four-year var- sity basketball player for the Pioneers and attended Loyola University of Chicago on a basketball scholarship. His twin brother, Antoine, played along side him during their high school and col- lege careers. Most importantly, Antoine stood be- side his brother when he was diagnosed with leu- kemia in 2005. Anthony battled leukemia for three years before passing away in January 2008. Smith was loved by his family, friends and community.

Randy Kriewall decided to create the Anthony Smith Foundation (ASF) and share Anthony’s sto- ry in his honor.

Also in his honor, Jeremy Jones and Woolf, for- mer teammates of Anthony Smith, started a tour- nament in his name to remember him. On May 21, in association with Hope Unlimited and Coaches v. Cancer, the third annual Anthony Smith 3-on-3 Tournament will be held at Concordia Lutheran Church in Kirkwood.

“He was a great role model for us and the com- munity. He loved his family and friends and was a great person to be around. He could always put a smile on your face,” Ben Woolf, walking counselor and former teammate of Anthony, said.

Kriewall, former head basketball coach, real- ized the outstanding character the twins had.

“As big, scary looking guys, they never did anything to hurt anyone. They were just great rep- resentatives of the school,” Kriewall said.

The tournament allows boys and girls of all ages to participate and play basketball for a good cause. Andrew Wentworth, sophomore, was one of the players who played in the tournament last year.

“It was fun to compete against my teammates from the Kirkwood team. I had fun beating the older guys when we played them,” Andrew Wen- tworth said. “My goal is to win it all. We finished second last year as freshmen in the ninth and tenth grade division, but it’s a new year, and I think my team can win.”