Senior Profile: Jibri Baker

Senior Profile: Jibri Baker

It is 6:30 p.m. and most students are at home starting homework or flipping channels. Not Jibri Baker.

Instead, Baker, senior, is at Busch Stadium, home of the St. Louis Cardinals, where he works. As part of the field crew, Baker spends his time preparing the field for play, protecting it from rain and chatting with the players.

“The best part is the fact that you just get to hang out and talk to the players,” Baker said. “It’s not uptight or difficult, and you actually have a good time. The players really interact with you.”

Baker is entering his second season working at Busch Stadium. His job may seem like an exciting one, but Baker said it is fairly straightforward.

“We condition and set up the field before every game,” Baker said. “We drag around the infield every two innings to make sure cleats don’t dig too far into the ground. After every game, we do pretty much the same thing and set up for tomorrow. If it’s supposed to rain, we lay down the tarp before we leave.”

The job is valuable to Baker not because of the athletes he gets to spend time with but because of the good time it provides.

“It’s just a really enjoyable job,” he said. “The people there give you a reason to enjoy your job. It’s such a good environment.”

Other than at work, Baker spends very little time on the baseball field. He plays football and rugby for KHS, but he does not consider himself much of a baseball fan.

“I’m a Cardinals fan because it’s like an instinct, but I’m not really into baseball,” Baker said. “I got the job because my mom has worked at the stadium for 10 years, so she was able to recommend me. I’m glad she did.”

View Comments (1)
    $1030
    $500