Senior Profile: Peter Huggins, John Monnig and Autumn Smith

The buzzer drones, signaling the end of another long and tiring school day. Seniors pile into cars in the Dougherty Ferry lot, frantically starting their engines in order to get as far away from campus as possible. Seniors Peter Huggins, John Monnig and Autumn Smith follow a different pattern, however, and excitedly head toward the backstage of the Keating Theater.

“I have been doing the sets of plays and musicals since sixth grade,” Huggins, member of the KH Players set building crew, said.“From painting set pieces to find- ing props, I have done it all.”

Crew requires no artistic or constructive back- ground, so it is open to any student who would like to join. Gregory Booth, stage manager, and Kelly Schneider, director, teach skills to the crew members and give as- sistance along the way.

“Mr. Booth and Mrs. Schneider are great people to work with,” Monnig said. “They help you get through the tasks that need to get done.”

Jobs on set crew do not only focus on the prepara- tion of the set before a play or musical, however. Some jobs are directly involved with the production as it is happening.

“I am involved in building and painting the sets,” Smith said. “I also work the lighting and sound for all the plays.”

to the final production.The crew is not a one-man show. “The one aspect I will walk away from the crew with is teamwork,” Huggins said. “There is no way all the

work can be done by just one person.” The set is not the only result from the time spent

working on the show. Friendships are also built. While relying on one another to lend a helping hand creating the set, the emotions at the end of the show are shared by everyone.

“It’s kind of like a family,” Monnig said.“Working with crew, you work with diverse people of all grade levels, and you get to know them well.”

The reward for the crew members’ hard work is not just the after party, but being able to share the final product with the crew and the school.That is why it is worth it to keep coming back for these members.

“I like being able to create something and then seeing it in use and on display for the whole school,” Smith said.

It is not just about the image of the crowd admiring their work on opening night, but the experiences with the other crew members that makes crew enjoyable, Huggins said.

“I love all those experiences when I would work backstage knowing that this will eventually be out on stage with actors, and everyone will be watching it,”

Being on the crew entails many occupations essential Monnig said.