Athlete of the week: Geoffrey Berger

Athlete of the week: Geoffrey Berger

Geoffrey Berger, junior, watched his older sister become a swimmer when he was five. He fell in love with the pool and has swam ever since.

Berger has been swimming competitively since he was nine on a small club team, the St. louis Spirit, before joining the KHS swim team as a freshman. During his three years with the KHS team, one particular moment sticks out above the rest.

“State last year,” Berger said. “We broke the school record in the 400 freestyle and placed fifth in the state [last year].”

The team has a different perspective this year. Matt Beasly, swim coach, is in his first year as a walking counselor and the roster has seen some turnover. But overall Berger has remained pleased.

“It has been a good year,” Berger said. “We graduated a lot of seniors, but a lot of our guys got faster so we are still pretty competitive.”

Since he is still just a junior Berger has not made many plans for college or pursuing a further swimming career, but he is not ruling it out.

“If there are scholarship opportunities I will look into it,” Berger said. “I still have a whole year to decide but if the chance is there I will think about it.”

Part of the reason for his being unsure on what he wants to do is that he also plays water polo for the high school. After playing varsity water polo for the past two years he has realized what he really likes most is the team game more than individual swimming.

“I like the atmosphere,” Berger said. “I like scoring goals and doing it as a team.”