Seniors become skit-ish

Seniors become skit-ish
    Kieran O’Connell

Amy Barker, English teacher, struts her notorious fast-paced walk–or sprint–into the David Holley Assembly Hall filled with families, students and staff. Pop music is blaring from the speakers as the English department trails behind her, but something is odd. It is not the English teachers. Seniors are imitating their beloved teachers during the senior skit at the Turkey Day Pep Rally.

Every year, the senior class joins for one last pep rally as a class to show the teachers how much they appreciate them.

“[Senior skit] shows the relationships and impact and effectiveness that our teachers have on our students,” Michael Gavin, senior principal, said. “And that our students are that passionate and have that intimate awareness of their teachers.”

This is a skit in which students can poke fun at their teachers by pointing out quirks and habits.

“It speaks probably pretty well to the teachers and students that we have, in that no one takes themselves too seriously and no one is malicious,” Gavin said. “That’s a pretty mature experience to say we know how to make fun of, but not make fun of too far or in a way that’s too personal.”

Gavin described the skit as a “right of passage” and a “coming of age” for the senior class. According to Andrew Phillips, senior, the Class of 2013 is ready to take on the challenge.

“It’s something that only seniors get to be involved in. It’s our own,” Phillips said. “We get to somewhat make fun of teachers and not get into trouble. It’s a fun time.”

Natalie Noonan, senior, agrees.

“I really like watching the senior skit because it’s always really funny,” Noonan said. “It shows Kirkwood’s spirit and gets you really excited for the Turkey Day game.”

Every year, the staff comes to see themselves mimicked and laugh along with the crowd while the underclassmen joke along with the seniors.

“It’s a way of honoring the people that we work with and learn with,” Gavin said. “And it’s a way of honoring them, but also tweaking them a bit and saying you know our teachers are so wonderful because they show all of their own humanities.”