Band holds its own as only club to decorate hallway

Kyle Rieger

Tape, cardboard and spray paint: all staples in the tradition of decorating hallways the Monday night of spirit week. Of the five groups participating, one seems quite out of place.

“This year it’s going to just be the band and the four classes that decorate,” Abby Freeman, junior, said.

Freeman, a varsity cheerleader, worked with the cheerleaders to design a hallway two years ago, but said no other club will be able to participate this year.

“When I worked on the cheerleader hallway, only ten girls showed up to work on it,” Freeman said. “It was just asking too much for the Varsity and JV girls to take time away from their class hallways to work on it. It was really empty and we felt like it was a waste of time.”

In the past, clubs including the cheerleaders, the equestrian club and the pommies have decorated, but the only organization who is not a class to still participate is the band.

“I give [the band] props for what they do. Everyone has to decide whether they want to work on their class or band hallway,” Freeman said. “The band is able to get it done because there’s a whole lot of people that do it, and it’s really good each year. Other clubs don’t have enough people, the right materials or the budget [to participate].”

Anne Fried, senior, decided to sacrifice working on the senior hallway so that she could focus on the band.

“I’m going to be working on the band hallway the entire time,” Fried said. “I think the band hallway will turn out better than the class hallways, I’ve worked on the band hallway all four years and I’ve always had a lot of fun doing it.”

Fried said she thinks the chances of taking first place are slim to none.

“We all know the contest is rigged, and the seniors will win, but the band hallway is normally the best one,” Fried said. “And if the seniors didn’t win, it would be really depressing. Everyone will eventually be a senior and get a chance to take first. It’s really one of the traditions at KHS.”

As for what sets the band hallways apart from the class hallways, Fried said there is something very specific the band does that is her favorite.

“The coolest thing is that the band chains things to the ceiling to recognize each member of the band by putting their name on it,” Fried said. “I don’t know what it is, but it is really cool to see your name up there with everyone elses.”

Amanda Drewel, freshman, will also be helping with the band hallway, but does not think she will become as dedicated to it as Fried.

“I’ll probably help out with the band for the next few years, but senior year I’ll be helping out with my class hallway,” Drewel said. “The senior halls are always going to be crazy. Since it’s your last year, you have to make it awesome.”

Even though this is her first hallway decorating, Drewel said she noticed something about how the other hallways are talked about.

“All the other hallways seem like they’re about winning, but the band hallway just seems like it’s all about fun,” Drewel said.