10. “Artist 2.0” — A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie

February 15, 2021

This selection might come as a surprise. A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie has not ascended into the upper echelon of mainstream hip-hop, despite consistently releasing quality music and amassing a trenchant fanbase, yet his latest album — “Artist 2.0” — deserves to be recognized as one of the year’s best. A Boogie’s soothing vocals pair wonderfully with the poignant piano melodies typical in his music; moreover, when he decides to rap over more aggressive, reverberating beats, he does not lose much of this sonically pleasing harmony, combining it with choppy rhythms that let the production shine. Across the album, A Boogie focuses on the trust issues he’s developed as a result of troubles maintaining intimate relationships, explaining how his introverted predisposition and violent lifestyle lead to the emotional discordances in his love life. “Me and My Guitar” and “Numbers” are exemplars of the artist’s ability to blend this aforementioned theme with his unique rapping style, making each song on the project enjoyably listenable. Although I do wish A Boogie more often strayed from his relaxed delivery to experiment with different styles and expand his voice, this album was still his best project to date. 

Best Songs: “Me and My Guitar,” “Numbers (feat. Roddy Ricch, Gunna and London On Da Track)” and “Thug Love”