For these reasons alone, Brandy Melville does not live up to the title “ethical.”

Bo Maney

Brandy Melville

Another largely known fast fashion brand is Brandy Melville. They are labeled as such because their clothes only come in a size small, which is a problem in itself because the brand is promoting unethical and unrealistic beauty standards. According to Serc Online, they’re described as “a money-hungry brand that uses fast fashion in order to keep up with the trends and sell their clothes at a higher price.” When you think about what an ethical brand is, it’s a company who cares about the environment, workers’ welfare, animal protection and removing and discrimmination or inequality in the workplace. For these reasons alone, Brandy Melville does not live up to the title “ethical.”

Not only does their website give off bad vibes, but behind closed doors, current and former employees of Brandy Melville have accused executives of racism and discrimination. According to Bob Cut Magazine, the brand’s recruitment is strictly based on young, slim and pretty girls. A former employee said that if you were fat or black then the chances of getting employed were “non-existent.” 

If Brandy Melville’s toxic workplace wasn’t enough, their clothing quality doesn’t make it any better. They use materials such as plastic and polyester to manufacture clothes or other accessories, making these products not recyclable. This will result in pollution and ending up in a landfill. It is safe to say that the company doesn’t track their waste products, carbon emissions or use of other harmful chemicals. Similar to their harm to the environment, Brandy Melville does not have a policy on animal welfare and protection.

$1030
$500