Rams season recap

Rams season recap
David Carson

The NFL has reached the crux of its season, the playoffs. Where rivalries are made, legends are born, and I cry to myself because my beloved Rams have yet again missed the playoffs. Let’s take a look back at the 2011 regular season.

It was another tough year for the Rams. After a promising 7-9 season a year ago it looked as if the Rams were ready to become the prominent team in the leagues weakest division, but those hopes quickly came to a screeching halt.

The Rams were decimated by injuries in a way that no other team could imagine. In just week one, top flight running back Steven Jackson pulled his quad muscle on just the second offensive play of the season.  In the same game, last year’s NFL leader in all purpose yards Danny Amendola was lost for the season due to a dislocated elbow, along with number one corner back Ron Bartell. But that isn’t where things ended. Amendola’s backup snapped his leg in half like a mint flavored tooth pick. Bartell’s backup went down, as well as his backup’s backup. That trend then continued as by the end of the year the Rams had their top 5 corners all on injured reserve. Also, Sam Bradford, star quarterback, couldn’t break the huddle without looking more hobbled then a two legged horse for half the season.

Injuries weren’t the only problem. Offensive Coordinator Josh McDanials tried to run the same offense he did in New England. That was one of the most prolific offenses in history. Sounds great. The only problem was instead of having Tom Brady run the plays while throwing to Randy Moss and Wes Welker, the Rams had a hurt Bradford tossing to the Brandon ‘drops the ball’ Gibson and Austin ‘please don’t throw the ball to me’ Pettis.

But when it all comes down to it, the Rams don’t have the talent to compete. Yes, a healthy roster would have maybe won a few more games, but it would not have fixed all the problems. The Rams ownership agrees. After a 10-38 tenure, the team has fired Head Coach Steve Spagnuolo and his entire coaching staff and GM Billy Deveney.

The Rams now look for a new man to head the club and hope to rebuild through the upcoming draft in which they will draft second overall. With a little luck, the Rams may be able to put up their first winning season since 2003 next year.