Spilling my “Guts”

Lucia Ruzicka
Olivia Rodrigo covers many topics and feelings throughout “Guts.”

Olivia Rodrigo – you have done it again. The entire fan base has lost their minds over Olivia Rodrigo’s newest album, “Guts,” which has a total of 12 tracks. Every one of these songs has been made for teenage girls, and they perfectly encapsulate so many people’s feelings about the world around them. Her songs were written to be scream-sung and cried to, whether it is with friends or at 2 a.m. or alone in your bedroom. They cover topics like breakups, friends, anxiety, and struggles such as body image. There is so much to break down about the tracks, so here are my top five favorites in no particular order.

“All-American B*tch”

The best part of this album is the first half, starting strong with this opener. “All-American B*tch” was an amazing opener because it perfectly encapsulates female rage.  It is relatable and feels like intense mood swings with the way it goes back and forth from soft singing to intense scream-singing paired with banging drums. Towards the end of the song, Rodrigo switches from screaming to her trying to convince herself she’s OK so other people believe it too. Then the transition into the next song tops it off.

“Lacy”

This song is my favorite out of all of those on the album. The storyline is about the deep feelings of jealousy and self-loathing that Rodrigo has for the title character “Lacy.” The line between envy and obsession is blurred. This makes it seem like a crippling romantic fixation on Lacy.  This shows especially in lines like “But it takes over my life, I see you everywhere the sweetest torture one could bear.”  “Lacy” is the embodiment of “Do I want to be them or date them?”  I could listen to this song on repeat for the melody and Olivia’s soft voice alone.

“Ballad of a Homeschooled Girl”

I may not be homeschooled, but “Ballad of a Homeschooled Girl” is still incredibly relatable.  This song perfectly describes social anxiety and trying to fit in with peers. The stereotype around homeschooled kids is being socially awkward, so it gives this track its title. This song is for the people who replay every conversation in their head. It is also for the people who never voluntarily read in front of the class or give presentations.  This song feels so much like “Brutal” from “Sour,” but you can tell how much Rodrigo has grown and matured.

“Get Him Back!”

This song is nothing like her other ones, which makes it so unique.  The way “Get Him Back!” builds throughout the song is so fun to listen to.  The entirety of the track is Rodrigo fighting with herself about whether she wants revenge on “him” or if she should rekindle their relationship.  She can’t decide whether she loves him or hates him, especially during the bridge and with lines like, “I wanna break his heart, stitch it right back up.” Screaming this song with friends is so therapeutic.  

“Bad Idea Right?”

If you have been on TikTok the past couple of months, you have probably heard this song, or at least parts of it. “Bad Idea Right?” went viral on TikTok for its fun and natural feel. Rodrigo is bringing back elements of 2000s pop rock, and I’m here for it. This whole track feels like a conversation I’m having with my friend, and I almost forget I’m listening to a song.  The whole time I’m just interested in the rest of the story and how real it is.  Small lines throughout like “F*ck it, it’s fine” and “The biggest lie I ever said,” add to the conversational and informal mood.  This song being the second track fits with the flow of the album and gets you right into your feels.

Throughout this album, I’ve noticed how much Olivia Rodrigo has grown in her music from “Sour in her tone, songwriting and message.  She has created another incredible album for millions of people to enjoy all over the world.